Musings of a MEd student

EDCI 565, MEd

The Learning Theory I Connect with the Most

Well, that is a title with a big idea behind it.  I struggled with the different theories when they were first described.  So much of them seemed to overlap in my memory.  I haven’t officially thought of them in  years.  When I started to teach 25 years ago I was gung ho, ready to go but the ways I use them have changed over time.  There are benefits to all of the learning theories we have discussed and I can see where I use them but articulating them is a little more difficult. Lets start with a review of different learning theories.

Behaviourism: I connect to this one a lot.  The theory is basically that learning is a result of reinforcement and conditioning.  Which when it is discussed often feels like a negative idea, but it is one way we learn.  As soon as we started discussing it I recognized that I use behaviourism ideas in my class and then I felt guilty.  Decide not to put your name on your work, there is a consequence.  Does it need to be a huge issue?  No.  Here are the papers without names, how will you identify yours?  Behaviourism also uses positive reinforcement which is ubiquitous in classrooms.  Negative reinforcement can also be useful.  Punishments have adapted for me over the years.  If you do A, B will happen was pretty common in 1999.  I have recently started using the phrase restitution with my class.  If you are going to make a mess that the janitor has to clean up the how will you make restitution.  Establishing clear routines and procedures is a behaviourist idea.  How else do students understand expectations and develop habits that contribute to a productive learning environment? How else do you make sure that your class can all move their learning forward if we are not all moving in the same direction.

Cognitivism: when trying to help students gain a deeper understanding, think critically and problem solve cognitivism is useful.  I appreciate this learning theory the most right now. I think most teachers try to make connections to prior knowledge, ask probing questions, and have students brainstorm together.  It’s a great way to get students interested in a topic they may struggle with by activating their prior knowledge.  Scaffolding information is necessary in most classes.  Most students I teach these days need assignments broken down in order to see the assignment as something they can do. Teaching metacognitive strategies is everywhere today.  Having students monitor, regulate and evaluate their own learning can be painful but so empowering for students. When we work on larger assignments, like Genius Hour, we go through, set goals, plan out steps and monitor progress in order to keep students on track. Using problem solving techniques can be highly rewarding, especially when students can see the connection to their own lives, school, or community. As a person who loves teaching math cognitivism also focuses on active learning strategies which promote deeper learning.  You’re learning fractional thinking.  Let’s build something. For me the most important aspect of cognitivism is giving feedback.

Constructivism: is the idea that students construct their understanding of the world by building on prior knowledge and experiences.  It emphasizes the importance of experiences, interactions, collaborative activities and reflection. One of the important ideas in constructivism is authentic learning.  That means we need to design learning activities that are relevant, meaningful and authentic to students’ lives and interests. Getting them out into the school and the community so that they can see the learning is important. In constructivism students are encouraged to share their perspectives, challenge the ideas of others, ask questions, investigate phenomena and seek solutions. It is more about the learning process and less about the grade.  To me constructivism is about empowering students to take an active role in their own learning.  Now I love the idea, it’s a lot harder with 10 year olds.  We take smaller steps depending on my learners.  Some students are ready to dive right into constructivist activities. Others still needs a bit more of a safety blanket. 

Social Learning: the theory that emphasizes the influence of social interactions and observational learning. For me this theory works best with students who are ready for it.  Not all students, I sometimes included, enjoy working with others. It often feels forced and in elementary classes who you work with is often a highly contested issue.  I think students need a certain level of maturity to be a productive member of a group. Do we still work on collaborative projects, share learning experiences and exchange ideas?  Yes!  It’s vital, but in a very consistent way, led by me. There is a lot of peer modeling so everyone can try these skills but there is a wide range of social skills in most classes. Sometimes even trying a pair-share activity is a minefield of social awkwardness at this age and as a teacher I have to be ready to jump in and save situations. Even then sometimes students just need a moment to deal with their frustrations and that’s another skill we practice! Most importantly social learning helps to create a supportive and inclusive classroom environment where students feel safe, respected and valued by all members. In my class we do a semi weekly classroom meeting where students have a chance to discuss concerns, share ideas and build community.

Connectivism: focusses on the role of technology and networks in learning. Accessing information, digital citizenship, using technology tools and online collaboration. This theory is the reason I am in this masters.  My hope was investigating how to bring more and better technology into my classroom.  My students are often not ready for online collaboration, don’t use technology much, except for Switches and PS5’s, and get endlessly lost when looking for online resources.  No google didn’t give you that information! It is important to teach this age group about digital citizenship, media literacy, how to effectively search for and evaluate sources. For me this theory is most important where it supports personalized learning paths.  Students these days have diverse learning needs, preferences and interests, and using connectivism helps to provide more personalized learning paths.

Thinking about these learning theories is kind of like looking at pictures of your family members.  You could have your great-grandmothers eyes, your fathers build, your grandmothers smile, but it is a combination.  This is similar to learning theories in the classroom.  We use bits and pieces of different theories because one learning theory doesn’t fit all students. These learning theories all have their place in my classroom, and I can recognize that. For me my guiding principles from learning theories include: active, hands-on learning engages learners, regular and immediate feedback is required, consistency is key, relationships are vital,  and everyday is a new day with new opportunities. Most importantly, for students, and teachers, change happens, be ready for it.