Musings of a MEd student

EDCI 565, MEd

A Brief Introduction

Embarking on a new term is always an exciting time for me. Currently, I am in the second term of my studies in the Master of Educational Technology program at the University of Victoria.

My educational journey commenced in 1994 when I started my university studies in mathematics and science while simultaneously working towards a Bachelor of Education degree. It was a phenomenal experience.

In 1999, I began my career in teaching, initially focusing on grade 3 students. However, it was not until five years later that I discovered my true passion for teaching students in intermediate grades. Over time, I transitioned to teaching grades 5/6, where I have remained dedicated ever since. I genuinely adore my profession, particularly the daily interactions I have with my students – engaging in conversations, exchanges of high fives, sharing daily riddles, and listening to their stories. I strongly believe that building relationships and demonstrating care towards students are vital aspects of teaching, as every day presents an opportunity to make a positive impact.

Through my 25 years of teaching experience, I have learned that education extends beyond rote memorization of facts and figures; it encompasses instilling a love for learning, nurturing curiosity, and empowering students to unlock their full potential. My ultimate aim is to ensure that each student experiences success in their learning journey.

Returning to school for further education is a interesting experience for me. In the current term, I am enrolled in EDCI 565, a course focused on Learning Design. Learning design involves the planning, organization, and creation of instructional materials and experiences to facilitate effective student learning. It includes the application of instructional design principles, pedagogical strategies, and educational technologies with the aim of designing learning experiences that align with specific learning objectives and engage learners. This dynamic process equips teachers with the ability to craft meaningful and impactful learning experiences for their students.

When it comes to designing learning experiences, my approach always starts with understanding the unique needs of my students. I emphasize the importance of building strong relationships with students. Then thinking about the big ideas, competencies and content. Constructing units and lessons that move everyone’s understanding forward, while keeping the learning environment engaging and positive, is crucial. Regularly assessing students’ understanding and being flexible enough to change things up when it is necessary.